If you are looking for a gluten-free version of American pie, using sorghum flour is one of the good options you have. Sorghum is gluten free and can be consumed by people who have gluten allergy. It has a milder taste and gives a smooth texture. You can make the American pie with sorghum as follows:
· Use sorghum flour entirely or a combination of flours, like sorghum and rice flour, with sorghum being the 3/4th of the flour used.
· Mix in some starch, such as tapioca starch or arrowroot starch.
· This will lighten the dough and help bind it well.
· Add the remaining ingredients such as sugar, salt, and butter.
· Mix well until the dough is soft and smooth.
· Use this dough to make the pie crust.
· The remaining steps to make the pie can be similar to this pie recipe.