Kumquats are known for their taste and tempting aroma. This is due to presence of essential/edible oils present in the fruit pulp. Some of the experts consider these oils to be toxins that could result in health effects.
- Tannins are present in the peel portion and if consumed accidently, it can cause indigestion and vomiting in some cases.
- Peel of the fruit is also rich in insoluble polysaccharides that sometimes cause skin rashes and allergic reactions.
- These entire naturally present compounds are not highly damaging but can show unsightly health complications in some cases.
To know on how to eat kumquat, read here.